I received the Olight PL Mini Valkyrie from Olight for the review
The PL Mini Valkyrie is a compact weaponlight with easy interface and rechargeable capability. It features a XP-L Hi emitter with an integrated battery.
The PL Mini Valkyrie comes in this box, with:
|• Magnetic charger USB cable
• 260mAh built-in lithium polymer battery
• 1913 Rail Mount (for 1913 Rail), the Rail mount for the Glock rail is already installed
• T6/T8 Socket Head Wrench
• Instruction Manual
The PL Mini is really compact (6x3x2.7 cm) and light (62 grams).
On the bottom of the light there is the proprietary magnetic charging port.
The PL Mini features a XP-L emitter in a small smooth reflector
The light is a single piece of aluminum, the only parts that moves are a stiff lever on the side that releases one side of the rail attachment
And the 2 switches at the side that activate the light when pushed down. Here I marked the one on one side with an arrow.
To charge the light you need the Olight charging cable, which, for the PL-Mini Valkyrie, it is a different one from all the other Olight charging cables.
It even has the SPECIAL writing on it
If you try to use a regular Olight charging cable on the PL-Mini Valkyrie, the connector will not attach to the port.
In fact, it will be physically pushed away from the magnet polarity orientation in the light.
Beside that, it works like any other Olight charging cable: it pops right into the port every time. It glows red when charging, and green when charged.
The charging requires less than an hour even with a 500mA USB output.
The UI is very simple: all you have are 2 switches, one on the right side and one on the left one.
Push down either switch and release it to turn the light on. Do it again to turn it off.
Keep pushed down either switch to turn the light on with momentary function (it will turn off once you release the switch).
The light has a single, constant output, mode.
Output and runtime
Olight claims a 400 lumens output for the single mode of the PL-Mini Valkyrie, and I measured 427 Lumens.
Beamshots at 1 meter from the wall
The XP-L Hi in the small Smooth reflector gives a wide beam, suited for close range illumination.
The light is well built and finished.
Being a person not keen on firearms, what I can say about this light is this:
- I like the interface, very simple and straight forward
- Compared to the PL-2, the PL-Mini Valkyrie is a much smaller and compact light, but with less output, runtime and throw. I believe it is best suited for firearms. It is also much cheaper to run, thanks to its rechargeable integrated battery.
- I like that the stepdown from the 400 lumens mode is gradual after the first minute, but I would have preferred an after-stepdown output of around 100-150 lumens. I get that the cell is small and a weaponlight should provide some runtime for every situation, but I believe 50 lumens is too little output. I would be glad to hear the opinions of firearm readers on this matter.
I would have preferred if the light could be charged with a regular Olight charging cable.
I would like to see this light come in a NW version.
Thanks to: AntoLed for the camera help and the luxmeter.